Have you ever thought about the humidity in your home? In case, you haven’t been a victim to molds you probably haven’t, but humidity is really important when it comes to your health.

Knowledge-base: Humidity is the water content in the air at a given temperature. It is measured in percent, relative to the total satiation for the air and ranges from 0-100%. 

Humidity can have negative or positive effects on your eyes, your mucous membranes and your health in general.

The optimal humidity range is somewhere between 40-60%. Anything below 40% is considered too dry and anything above 60% is considered to humid.

Living in an environment that is too dry will dry out your eyes and the membranes in your nose and mouth. This happens especially if the humidity in your bedroom is too low. Having humid membranes is key to fight off infections and bacteria you get in contact with. 

Those membranes act as your first line of defense against viruses and bacteria and as soon as they get too dry your defense mechanisms are limited. As studies found out that people who are living in an environment that’s too dry are more prone to respiratory infections.

Your eyesight will also suffer from too little humidity. Your eyes are naturally keeping themselves humid through tear production, but if the air around you is too dry, your eyes will loose those tears to the air and get dry. Dry eyes can decrease your eyesight be up to half a diopter.

On the other hand, if the humidity is too high, above 60%, it will provide an excellent environment for molds, mite, and bacteria to develop. Studies found out that mite populations a minimized at a humidity below 50% and are maximized at a humidity around 80%. Most fungi also can’t develop below a humidity of 60%.

Mold is a problem many people that live in humid climates have and it is not only dangerous for your health, but for your house or apartment as well. Molds can relieve toxins into the air that can decrease your mental and physical health tremendously. 

Mold is also related to weight gain and some experts even say that molds are more dangerous than pesticides or heavy metals. People with a mold-related illness often report about declining health, but most doctors never consider mold as a reason for the health decline.

In case the humidity is too low in your home you can either put some wet towels on your radiator (DIY solution) or you can get a humidifier. If the humidity is too high you should check for mold, even behind your wallpapers. Investing in a humidifier is also a good option as well as ventilating your room regularly.

Steps to take:

  • Get a hygrometer and measure the humidity.
  • If it is too low (<40%) put a bowl of water on your heater or an invest in a humidifier.
  • If it is too high (>60%) check your house for molds and ventilate your rooms more often (If you are not living in a humid climate) or invest in a dehumidifier.

Sources:

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares
Share This